Peter Timbs Meats
How to Cook the Perfect Sausage
The humble sausage is our pride and joy, with a tremendous variety! To unlock the full potential of all the flavours, here are a few ways we would cook them (without the burnt taste)
- Thaw product prior to cooking.
- Spray a pan with cooking spray.
- Add sausage.
- Cook over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes, turning links often.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook until internal temperature reaches 70°C(160°F)
- ALTERNATIVELY AFTER REDUCING HEAT TO MED-LOW
- Carefully add ½ cup water to pan
- Cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until sausage internal temperature reaches 70°c (160°F.)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the sausages on a baking tray and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Turn halfway through the cooking time.
- Bake until thoroughly cooked. Individual types of sausages may have slightly different cooking times check the packet for specific instructions.
- Place the sausages over indirect heat, and leave them there until they are cooked through. The safest way to tell is to split one sausage in half to check.
- Then, brown the sausage quickly over direct heat to finish.
- NOTE: If the grill is hot enough, you can skip the browning step – on a charcoal grill, 20 minutes of indirect heat is enough time to brown the sausage AND cook it through.
- Bring a pan of water or beer to a boil.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the sausage.
- Cover the pan and let it stand 10-15 minutes.
- It is not advisable to add sausages to vigorously boiling water because it may cause them to split.